Product Images

    • Adult Services thumbnail image 1
      Adult Services

          Our aim is that you have the support that you need to express your views and have your rights respected.

          Our adult services will support both you and local organisations across Lincolnshire to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard.

          We are proud of what the Total Voice Lincolnshire (TVL) service has achieved in the last five years and we are excited to work with our new partner organisations to offer more opportunities to help meet your needs. Our new partnership will be accountable to you and we will ensure that you:

          • Know where to go for advocacy support.
          • Are supported to access other services that will meet your needs.
          • Are supported to get your voice heard.
          • Are fully involved in decisions that concern me.
          • Are treated with dignity and respect.
          • Feel more able to speak up for yourself in future.
          • Feel that TVL listens to and acts on your views.
          • Can get involved in TVL if you want to.
            Details Part numbers Unit Price Qty

            Community Advocacy

            Total Voice Lincolnshire offers independent advocacy across the whole of Lincolnshire if you are 18 and over and are:

            • Using Adult Care services
            • Using Mental Health Services, or
            • You are a carer of someone using these services.

            What Can We Do

            Your advocate will support you to have your voice heard and your rights respected.

            They can help you get information about the choices you have and support you to make your own decisions about things that are important to you.

            Your advocate will support you to speak up for yourself. If you need or want us to speak up for you, we can do that as well.

            Advocates are independent. They are not employed by Lincolnshire County Council or any care service.

            An advocate will always:

            • Be on your side
            • Listen to what you want
            • Make sure people listen to you

            An advocate can work with you to:

            • Speak out at meetings or to professionals
            • Find information so you can make choices and sort out problems
            • Change your services if you want to
            • Know about your rights and make sure they are respected
            • Make difficult decisions
            • Make a complaint if you are not happy about something

            Care and Support Advocacy

            Changes brought in by the Care Act means that any decisions about your care will consider your well-being and what is important to you so that you can stay healthy and remain as independent as possible. To do this, it is important for you to be fully involved in decisions about your care and support needs.

            Are you eligible for care and support advocacy?

            You may be eligible to get an advocate if you do not have any friends or family to support you and you will find it very hard to:

            • Understand what is happening and the choices that you have
            • Decide what care and support you need
            • Tell people what you want

            Advocacy will be available during:

            • Your care and support needs assessment
            • Your care and support planning
            • Your care and support reviews
            • And for any safeguarding processes – if someone thinks that you may be unsafe or at risk of harm.

            Advocacy is available if you live at home, in a care home or hospital, or if you are in prison.

            You may also be eligible for advocacy if you are a carer of an adult or a carer of a child in transition.

            How to get care and support advocacy

            If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will need to be referred to our service by your local council – adult social services – or other organisations employed by the council to make referrals.

            Are you looking for information for a friend or relative?

            Some people find making decisions about health and care needs very difficult. The Care Act gives the right for eligible people to get an independent advocate them to help them:

            • understand the care and support process
            • be actively involved in discussions and make their own decisions about their care and support needs
            • challenge plans made if they do not take account of the person’s wishes or feelings.

            Independent advocacy is available for people who do not have any friends or family (an appropriate individual) available to support and facilitate their active involvement in their own care and support process.

            People who are already providing paid-for care will not be able to support the person in this role.

            Your local council will be able to talk to you about what friends and family members can do to support someone fully within their care and support process.

            In some cases, a person may be entitled to an independent advocate as well as a family member or friend. This is when:

            • Someone has been placed in a hospital for over 4 weeks or a care home for over 8 weeks and the local council agrees that it would be in the person’s best interest to have an advocate
            • There is a disagreement between the local council and the friend or relative who is support a person in their care process and both parties agree it would be beneficial for the person to get an advocate.

            Mental Capacity Advocacy

            You have a right to independent advocacy under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

            If you, or someone you know, is assessed as ‘lacking capacity’ to make a particular decision, you may be able to get an advocate who can support and represent you.

            Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy was introduced as part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. This gives people who have an impairment, injury or a disability which results in them being unable to make a specific decision for themselves, the right to receive independent support and representation.

            Lincolnshire County Council, or your NHS decision maker MUST refer you if you have no ‘appropriate’ family and friends who can be consulted and you have been assessed as lacking the capacity to make a decision about:

            • any serious medical treatments
            • a move to a hospital that would be for more than 28 days
            • a move to a care home that would be for more than 8 weeks
            • your safety or care which is likely to result in you being deprived of your liberty
            • In addition, your local council, or the NHS decision maker MAY refer you if you lack capacity to make a decision about either:
              • A Care review (if you have no ‘appropriate’ family and friends)
              • A Safeguarding referral (whether you are the victim or alleged perpetrator, regardless of whether you have family and friends)

            The Role of an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate

            An IMCA is there to:

            • Find out about your views, wishes and feelings about the decision. This can be by talking to you and the people you are close to and it may involve talking to professionals who care for you.
            • Communicate your views, wishes and feelings to decision makers.
            • Provide information to you and to the decision makers to help work out what is in your best interests.


            IMCAs will check whether decision makers are:

            • applying the principles of the Mental Capacity Act;
            • acting in the person’s best interest;
            • choosing the least restrictive option for the person.

            An IMCA can challenge decisions made by the decision maker, including the capacity assessment itself.

            IMCAs will be allowed to meet with you in private and can ask to see all relevant health, social services and care home records.

            All VoiceAbility IMCAs have specialist skills in working with people who are unable to communicate or find it very hard to express themselves. IMCAs also have specialist knowledge of Mental Capacity Act and other interrelated laws, codes and practices.


            Mental Health Advocacy

            You have a right to independent advocacy under the Mental Health Act.

            If you, or someone you know, is assessed as ‘lacking capacity’ to make a particular decision, you may be able to get an advocate who can support and represent you.

            What is Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)?

            People who are treated under the Mental Health Act have the right to independent mental health advocacy (IMHA).

            This applies to hospital patients and those who are on a Supervised Community Treatment Orders or under guardianship.*

            *Exclusions apply. Find out who can get an IMHA.

            How can an IMHA help?

            An IMHA is independent, they are not a member of the medical or social care team, and plays no part in your treatment and care.

            These are some of the ways in which an IMHA might help you:

            • Explaining and exercising your rights
            • Request a review of your section through access to a mental health tribunal
            • Understanding how to raise concerns about your experience and/or care in hospital
            • Helping you to find out information about your treatment
            • Preparing and supporting at meetings
            • Being fully involved in your care planning
            • Helping you to find out whether any conditions or restrictions apply to you
            • At ward rounds or care reviews

            Peer Advocacy

            What is a Peer Advocate?

            A Peer Advocate is someone who volunteers their time to get to know a person with a disability. They are someone who will be on your side when you want to say something.

            A Peer Advocate will listen to what you want and make sure people listen to you. They can support you to:

            • Find information so you can make choices and sort out problems
            • Change your services if you want to
            • Know about your rights and make sure they are respected
            • Make difficult decisions
            • Make a complaint if you are not happy about something

            Why does the service exist?

            When you talk to people who have a disability, you often come across the term ‘circle of support’.  This means the friends and family that person has, each of whom play an important role in supporting that individual.

            Peer advocates are a great way widen the circle of support.  Because they are totally independent, they can work with somebody to find out what they really want to do, without any pre-conceived expectations or ideas.  The partnership that is formed can work towards developing positive relationships with individuals, relevant groups and organisations.


            We may be looking for people to become Peer Advocates in your area.

            We provide all new potential Peer Advocates with induction training, on-going training and regular updates.

            We also provide support and evaluation sessions for each partnership.